April 16, 2006

Sam Hughes Reviews: Sarsae, a sparkling sarsae drink!


Sarsae, sarsae, sarsae, what the hell is sarsae? Not knowing what the hell sarsae is I think was the main reason that this soda was purchased from a local Chinese supermarket in Birmingham, England. The packaging is a definite plus with this soda. A nice big “Sarsae” logo is displayed on the front with a Simpsons-esque font in front of white clouds and a dark brown city landscape. There also appears to be the same thing on the other side, but this time done in Chinese characters. In this case, reading the word “Sarsae” in English meant just about as much as the Chinese characters did. Having things on the can that don’t make sense to me is cool; it’s like what young kids do with tattoos.

Anyway, straight to the taste… This Sarsae tastes exactly like Mug Root Beer! It’s not all that much of a revelation in that regard, but I got pumped because it was the first root beer I’ve in England, ever! So, I guess Sarsae kind of sounds like Sarsaparilla, which tastes like root beer. I really wish this didn’t taste exactly like Mug Root Beer (with better packaging) so I’d have something more interesting to say…either way… 5.5/10

PS: I really wanted to be low and make a SARS joke in this review, but I’m too good for that. Though I bet this soda didn’t sell all that well during the SARS outbreak…

8 comments:

stacey said...

goddamn i want root beer! a chinese supermarket you say? hmmmmm.....

Anonymous said...

Barq's has bite. (man, i miss those commercials...)
- liv

Anonymous said...

hey sam,
nice to see you sporting the jones soda sweatshirt i gave you in austin! hope to see the soda reviews make a comback here on the blog

orly
MFL

Anonymous said...

Has there ever been a 10/10 on Sam Hughes Reviews?

Sam Hughes said...

10/10 has never occurred...Unfortunately really. A perfect 10 has just never crossed my paths. 8's and 9's? Yeah, there are some good ones out there. I'll know it when I taste a 10. I'll just know it.

solipsized said...

Sam, I think one day soon you should try Steaz; you will not be disappointed. My favorite is the grape.

http://www.steaz.com/beverages.html

Anonymous said...

i live in hong kong and im english there is lots of sarsae in hk but im surprised its found in birmingham

Anonymous said...

2010 might be a bit late to add a comment to something posted in 2006, but here goes ...

The design on the can is not "white clouds and a dark brown city landscape", it is white foam overflowing the rim and dripping down the side of a glass of dark brown liquid i.e. the sarsae a.k.a root beer ;)